Going to the Inquest

The contact family member is notified of the Inquest date but an Inquest is also open to the public - anyone can attend and observe.

People who believe they are an 'interested party' need to contact the Manager Listings and demonstrate their involvement and why they should formally participate in the hearing.

It can be very difficult going to an Inquest some time after the person's death and hearing it discussed in a public courtroom. For the sake of clarity and to avoid confusion, the language used can sometimes be clinical. You need to be prepared for the possibility that there will be details disclosed about the death you have not heard before.

Arriving at Court

Allow plenty of time to get to court. If you are going to the Central Law Courts, 501 Hay Street, Perth there are public parking facilities close to the Court that you can use.

When you arrive, proceed to the courtroom which you have been advised to attend. Counsel Assisting the Coroner will make themselves known to you before the Inquest starts. If you require a Court Companion (metropolitan area only) for the Inquest this can be arranged prior to the Inquest on request to the Coronial Counselling Service.

A Courtroom companion is a volunteer who can sit with families and show them where to go, where they can get tea and coffee etc.

Do I need a Lawyer?

If you are a family member or an interested party you can be represented by a lawyer if you wish. Getting some preliminary legal advice might help you decide whether you need a lawyer in court.

Family members may raise issues with the counsel or the police officer assisting the coroner who can then ask questions relevant to those issues, if appropriate, but cannot act as the family's legal representative.

Last updated: 11-Dec-2017

[ back to top ]