Coroner's Court of Western Australia

Inquest into the Death of Sean MORGAN-SMITH

Inquest into the Death of Sean MORGAN-SMITH

Delivered on :23 September 2019

Delivered at : Perth

Finding of : Coroner Linton

Recommendations :N/A

Orders/Rules : N/A

Suppression Order : N/A

Summary : The deceased at the time of his death was a postal worker for Australia Post. The deceased was delivering mail in the Huntingdale area while riding his Australia Post Honda motorcycle. The motorcycle was fitted with high visibility panniers and a flag and the deceased was wearing his uniform and an appropriate motorcycle helmet.

On 24 June 2015 a front end loader was performing site works on a vacant block in Elkington Pass in Huntingdale. The driver was regularly reversing out across the footpath and into the roadway. The driver of the front end loader was working on the site on his own and there were no barriers on the footpath, nor were there any warning signs to alert people travelling on the footpath to the activities the front end loader was undertaking. The front end loader did emit a loud beeping noise when it was reversing.

The deceased drove up the roadway on Elkington Pass before moving onto the northern footpath to deliver mail into letter boxes at homes near the vacant block. After delivering the mail the deceased attempted to drive his motorcycle along the footpath behind where the front end loader was working. As the deceased passed behind the front end loader, the front end loader reversed backwards onto the footpath and struck the deceased’s motorcycle, knocking him to the ground.

The driver of the front end loader reversed forward and then got out of his front end loader and assisted the deceased. Other people in the area also assisted but it was apparent the deceased was injured and required emergency services to attend.

St John Ambulance arrived at the scene and found the deceased to be unconscious but had no obvious injury. The deceased suffered a cardiac arrest in the presence of the ambulance crew and CPR was commenced. The deceased was conveyed by ambulance to Fiona Stanley Hospital and further resuscitation efforts were continued at the hospital. The deceased could not be resuscitated and died.

The Coroner found the deceased died on 24 June 2015 as a result of abdominal injuries.

The inquest considered issues of work safety on building sites, particularly where heavy machinery and pedestrians can come into contact.

The medical experts were unable to say with any certainty whether earlier diagnosis and treatment of the pulmonary embolism could have changed the outcome. Despite the tragic outcome, the medical care was considered to be reasonable in all the circumstances.

Catch Words : Public Safety : Residential Construction Sites : Accident.

Last updated: 16-Oct-2019

[ back to top ]