Coroner's Court of Western Australia

Inquest into the Death of Trent Nathaniel ROBERTSON

Inquest into the Death of Trent Nathaniel ROBERTSON


Delivered on : 20 November 2020

Delivered at : Perth

Finding of : State Coroner Fogliani

Recommendations : N/A

Orders/Rules : N/A

Suppression Order : Yes

No reporting/publication of any evidence which relates to the details contained in the Police Emergency Driving Policy

Summary : On 27 May 2018 Mr Robertson died at Royal Perth Hospital from head and neck injuries that he sustained upon crashing his motorcycle after failing to negotiate the roundabout at the intersection of Old Coast Road and Paris road in Australind, while he was in the course of attempting to avoid a traffic stop by police. At the time of his death Mr Robertson had been charged with criminal offences and he was on bail. At the time he was riding the motorcycle his driver’s licence was suspended, the registration of the motorcycle had expired, and the number plate had been obscured. He was 44 years of age.

On 16 May 2018 police were on duty conducting patrols in the Australind area. They observed a motorcycle which appeared to be speeding. The police vehicle mobile radar registered the motorcycle’s speed at 92 kilometres per hour in a designated speed limit zone of 60 kilometres per hour. Police called upon the motorcyclist to stop, by activating lights and sirens. The police intended to conduct a traffic stop. Mr Robertson was in control of the motorcycle at the time. Mr Robertson did not stop his motorcycle.

After accelerating and following the motorcycle for a short distance, police formed the view that Mr Robertson did not intend to stop for them. They deactivated their lights and sirens and terminated the attempted traffic stop. Police continued driving South along Old Coast Road, but not at speed. Mr Robertson continued riding the motorcycle in a southerly direction along Old Coast Road, at speed. As Mr Robertson entered the intersection with Paris Road he struck the raised kerb of the roundabout, lost control of the motorcycle and was thrown from the machine, impacting heavily with the road.

Police were the first responders who went to the assistance of Mr Robertson. Paramedics arrived and he was conveyed to Bunbury Hospital, then transferred to Royal Perth Hospital with serious head injuries. Tragically despite all medical efforts, Mr Robertson was not able to be revived, and he died of his injuries.

The State Coroner found the attempted vehicle intercept lasted a matter of second and the police did not cause or contribute to Mr Robertson’s death. The State Coroner found Mr Robertson’s death was by way of accident.

Catch Words : Attempted Vehicle Intercept : Motorcycle : Accident

Last updated: 15-Dec-2020

[ back to top ]