Inquest into the Suspected Death of Naing Aung YAN

Inquest into the Suspected Death of Naing Aung YAN

Delivered on : 10 February 2022

Delivered at : Perth

Finding of : Deputy State Coroner Linton

Recommendations : N/A

Orders/Rules : N/A

Suppression Order : N/A

Summary : Mr Naing Aung Yan was a crew member on board the iron vessel ‘Magsenger 9’ which arrived in waters off Cape Preston on 28 January 2019, awaiting to load iron ore.  Mr Yan was employed as an oiler and was married with one son.  Mr Yan was last seen in his cabin at about 9.45  pm on 4 February 2019.  He has not been seen or heard from again. when he went missing.

Mr Yan failed to report to work at midnight on 5 February 2019.  A crew member went to his cabin to check on him and did not find him in his cabin.  A search of the vessel was conducted, but there was no sign of Mr Yan.  A search of his cabin found a letter addressed to Mr Yan’s wife and son, which indicated he had an intention to self-harm at the time he wrote the letter.

During the search for Mr Yan on the upper deck of the vessel, a crew member found a packet of cigarettes and lighter on the bench metres from the railing and an open gate that provided direct access to the ocean.  The brands of lighter and cigarette packet were consistent with lighters and cigarettes located in Mr Yan’s cabin.  The vessel’s Captain reported Mr Yan’s disappearance to the shipping operator, who advised the authorities and requested help with search and rescue.  Cape Preston Port Operations commenced an initial search of the waters around the anchorage location by utilising a total of seven local tug boats and crew transfer vessels.

WA Police at Dampier Police station were also notified of Mr Yan’s disappearance.

WA Water Police branch immediately commenced a Marine Search and Rescue incident.  An airplane and helicopters were deployed and commenced an air search of the area.  On the third day, WA Police officers from the dive squad commenced dive operations beneath the vessel in case Mr Yan’s body was located on the seabed.  After four days of searching, Mr Yan was not found and the search for him was formally suspended.

The Deputy State Coroner was satisfied beyond all reasonable doubt Mr Yan died on or about 4 February 2019 after deliberately entering the sea with the intention of taking his own life.  The Deputy State Coroner was unable to determine how the deceased died but was satisfied that Mr Yan’s death occurred by way of Suicide.

Catch Words : Missing Person : Marine and Air Search : Suicide

Last updated: 19-Mar-2022

[ back to top ]